Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The food.

For the first time in my life I am thinking very seriously about becoming a vegetarian (at least temporarily). People eat so many animals over here. I feel as though nothing is off limits. From snails to rabbit anything is fair game. Tonight at dinner our meat option for the main platter was ‘conejo’ or in English rabbit. It was on the bone and you could definitely see that they were the rabbit’s hind legs. I understand that I am in a different country and I need to try new things, but I just could not bring myself to actually eat it. I feel kind of hypocritical since I do eat other animals such as chicken. So this makes me think that I should just give up meat all together? This is not the first time I have thought about this on this trip because one of the first things you realize when you come here is that Spaniards’ solution for every meal is meat. Yes mainly ham, which I can deal with, but when you sit down with a meal from the dining hall and you just do not know what you are going to get. Since when is ‘meat paste’ considered something edible? I almost would rather take away that mystery of my life and give up animals all together. I will have to sleep on it to see what will come of this situation, but I am seriously leaning towards the no meat option.

1 comment: