Saturday, May 29, 2010

Día 9- Vamos a la playa!




Today I woke up early to go to the Mercado Central because it is only open in the mornings. The Mercado Central is Europe biggest fruit market that just happens to be a ten-minute walk from the dorms. This place is incredible. They have so many different fresh fruit, freshly made marmalade and honey. There was one part of the market that I did not like as much the fresh meat and seafood section. This place makes you want to become a vegetarian from the fresh squid to seeing a skinned rabbit with its eyeballs still intact really makes you think twice about your dietary preferences. They even had fresh eels. So fresh in fact that they were still swimming around in a little bit of water waiting for their fate. I seriously considering becoming a vegetarian after this, but I am not sure if I could do it. Maybe the engraved picture in my head of a skinless duck with its beak still intact will soon erase itself from my memory. After the market five of us went to the beach. It was the first time I had ever seen the Mediterranean Sea! We took a bus that took about thirty minutes to a beach that was very busy that seemed to be like a little boardwalk. I had a tortilla bocadillo for lunch at the beach which was very good. A tortilla bocadillo is like an egg and potatoes sandwich which seems a bit weird, but it also very typical so I figured I would try it. The beach was wonderful. There was the perfect amount of heat and breeze. It was relaxing. Two things that I did not enjoy about the Mediterranean Sea. The first the water was freezing. The second, the sand here loves to stick to your body. It is much different than the sand in the U.S. I took a shower and I could not get all of the sand off my face. I feel very grainy, but I guess it could be another way of exfoliating! On the way home I noticed a culture difference that I did not care for. Young people over here do not respect their elders on the buses. There is a section on the bus that was reserved for the elderly and young guy sat there even though someone had told him that those seats were reserved. What nerve. Apparently this is something that is very common in Spain according to my culture professor. The bus was full and there were at least five old people with canes and all young Spaniards sitting in the seats. Only one young woman got up for one of the older women to sit down and the woman was so gracious and surprised that someone was so nice to give up their seat. To me this act should be considered common courtesy.

1 comment:

  1. Aww, that's sad about the old people.
    But on another note...the mercado looks cool!

    ReplyDelete