Tuesday, July 20, 2010

On the way to Lisboa!


First opinions of Portugal:
1. The sidewalks are slippery. How do people walk around here when it is raining? I have had a lot of close calls without the rain.
2. I do not understand these people at all. There is a really big language barrier. I thought that being bilingual would give me some sort of head start on the language so there would be some mode of communication, but I was mistaken. When it is written I can understand it, but they speak so differently compared to Spanish that when they talk to me in Portuguese my face kind of goes blank. I do not have the slightest clue.
3. The city is beautiful. I have now officially seen both sides of the Atlantic Ocean.
4. I am a fan of white Sangria.
We got to Lisboa in the late afternoon and it was a pain to find our hotel. As always when you are a foreigner the streets are confusing. We were wandering around the city for about an hour for the hotel. I have never seen Gildi so anxious to get rid of the car as she we in Lisboa. I am not the biggest fan of this hotel compared to the last one. It is very businesslike and futuristic. Not very homey at all. It took us a really long time to find a place to eat. We finally walked into a bar that was playing the Spain versus Germany game and we sat back and enjoyed. Spain won and is going to the world cup! Also, according to the octopus who knows beforehand who is going to win the games (since he is never wrong) Spain is supposed to take the title! On a side note it is really hard to have a car in Europe. Not only was it really hard to come into the city, but when Gildi went to park the car she was really worried about being able to get the car out of the parking garage. Mainly because the entire thing was only one-way.

2 comments: